Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Portrait Of My Mother 9x12 Watercolor


My mother is 89 years old now. I think it is fascinating that when she was born, World War I was still raging. When she was a little girl, she saw Charles Lindburg. Later in life, she saw John F. Kennedy. And still later, shook hands with President Clinton. She remembers the Great Depression. She remembers exactly where she was when she heard the news about both Pearl Harbor and 9/11. She raised three sons and buried one, the worst thing that could happen to a parent. I think our country should honor our elders more. They are a wealth of history. Not for sale.

2 comments:

Vernita Hoyt said...

This is a beautiful portrait of your mother and to think it is watercolor! You have a beautiful handling of the medium. I did not get a portrait painted of my mother before she passed away 14 months ago. Your portrait here inspires me to paint one. Yes, they were quite a generation. I have appreciated my mother more with each passing day since her death.

naquaiya said...

Your written tribute is as inspiring as your visual art.