Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Kate Skaloud's Work







I've never done this before, but I was so taken by these drawings by artist Kate Skaloud, that I wanted to provide a place where they can be seen. Kate recently took up drawing and painting again after a 24 year absence. She is largely self-taught. I am most envious of this fact. Pierre Bonnard strongly felt that art should not be taught, that each person should be given the freedom to develop his or her talent without the undo influence of a teacher trying to reproduce a carbon copy of himself. I am not the purist that Bonnard was on this subject, but I agree with him to a degree. Artists should be taught how to see more than how to draw or paint. If I had to do it over again, I would seek out a few artists I admire who offer workshops (such as Daniel Greene) rather than seeking a B.A. Degree. Here, Kate's work displays a clarity of vision and delicacy of line that I hope continues to blossom through the best teacher, which is time spent at the easel. Kate lives with her husband in Galva, Illinois.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sooo enjoyed viewing the work of Kate Skaloud, better known to me as "Katie", my high school friend. Katie has always possessed this special talent, and I'm glad now that it is finally being recognized. She is a true, natural talent.

Teri Pankau
Galva, IL

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your works!
Your friend at Walmart